These delicious vegan banana pancakes are made with coconut flour and topped with a healthy chocolate hazelnut spread and chopped hazelnuts. They are plant based, gluten-free, beautifully fluffy, and so easy to make. It's the perfect recipe to start your day and enjoy brunch with friends!
You won't go wrong with these Vegan Banana Pancakes! They taste amazing as is but even better with a decadent chocolate hazelnut spread and chopped nuts for added texture. Adding mashed banana to the batter is excellent in plant based pancakes because it makes it super moist, makes a great replacement for the egg, and gives it an amazing flavor.
This banana pancake recipe is so easy to make and only has a few ingredients. They're even great to make on weekdays when you don't have a lot of time. Spreading a chocolate hazelnut topping over the pancakes will ensure the kids will love these as much as you do. As far as vegan breakfast recipes go, this one is one of the best!
Imagine waking up in the morning craving some hot and delicious pancakes, whipping them up in just under 20 minutes, and feeling good about eating them afterward. That's what you get when you make pancakes with bananas, coconut flour, coconut milk, coconut butter, and brown sugar. Baking powder is added to make these fluffy vegan banana pancakes look and feel amazing. Top them with a chocolate hazelnut spread that's light and creamy and you won't be able to get enough of them.
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 20 minutes
- Total: 30 minutes
- Coconut flour: Use a little bit of coconut flour along with all-purpose flour.
- Baking powder: This allows the pancakes to get nice and fluffy.
- All-purpose gluten-free flour: The gluten-free flour will make the pancakes very tender.
- Coconut milk (or any other plant-based milk): Using coconut milk instead of water really boosts the flavor.
- Brown sugar: This soft and rich sugar is a wonderful sweetener for pancakes.
- Coconut butter: Use this or a different type of oil instead of butter.
- Ripe bananas: A quarter cup mashed bananas are used in place of eggs to give moisture, sweetness, and flavor.
- Pinch of salt: Salt balances the sweetness of the sugar and banana.
- Chocolate hazelnut spread: A wonderful and decadent topping.
- Chopped hazelnuts: Nuts add a little crunch and a nice contrast to the soft pancakes.
How to make vegan banana pancakes
- In a bowl mix dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, brown sugar and salt.
- In another bowl mix wet ingredients: mashed banana and milk. You may mix it with a spoon or use a blender to make the texture more smooth.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients. If the batter is too thick try adding more milk a tablespoon at a time.
- Heat a skillet and melt a piece of coconut butter.
- Add 1 Tbsp batter per pancake to the pan. (You can cook 3-4 pancakes at a time).
- Cook pancakes over medium-low heat until the edges have set and the batter starts forming little bubbles, approximately 2 minutes, then use a spatula to carefully flip them and cook on the second side for 30-60 seconds. Repeat this process until the batter is gone.
- Serve with chocolate-hazelnut spread and chopped hazelnuts on top.
Tips For Success
These pancakes are amazing just as they are but you can definitely change them if you'd like or if you have something else in your pantry. Here are a few ideas:
- You can use almond flour instead of coconut or all-purpose. This gives a nice nutty flavor, keeps the pancakes really tender, and is still gluten-free.
- Instead of using coconut milk, you can use a different non-dairy milk like almond, oat, or soy milk. The flavor will change slightly depending on which one you use.
- Use coconut oil, canola oil, vegan butter, or another neutral oil instead of coconut butter.
- You can also top these easy vegan banana pancakes with peanut butter, maple syrup, sliced bananas, or strawberry jam. The options here are endless!
- These vegan pancakes are easy to store either before or after you make them.
- You can keep the batter in the fridge in an air-tight container for up to 5 days. This way you can make batter for the whole week and then just pour out exactly what you need each morning.
- If you have leftover pancakes, keep them in a zip-top bag in the fridge for 3 to 5 days. You can eat them cold right out of the fridge or you can heat them up in the microwave and top them with your favorite topping.
- Mixing bowl
What is a vegan pancake?
Vegan pancakes are used with only plant based ingredients so don't have any dairy products like eggs, milk, or butter.
How many calories in banana pancakes?
Our plant based banana pancakes with chocolate hazelnut spread has 476 calories for 6 pancakes. If you're watching your caloric intake, eat less pancakes or use less spread.
Can you skip the egg in pancake mix?
Yes! This recipe uses ripe, mashed bananas instead of the egg to give moisture and sweetness.
Are vegan banana pancakes healthy?
Yes, this banana pancakes recipe is healthy and made using all plant based ingredients. It's full of fruit and nuts for added nutrients.
Can you freeze banana pancakes?
Yes, you can freeze these pancakes for 2 months. Seal in a freezer bag and keep frozen til you're ready to enjoy them again. Reheat in the microwave or toaster!
This nutrition card is calculated by a third party app and is only an estimate. The numbers will vary based on the specific ingredient amounts and brands you use in making this recipe.
6 servings per container
Serving Size6 small pancakes
- Amount Per Serving% Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 12g 60%
- Sodium 500mg 21%
- Amount Per Serving% Daily Value *
- Potassium 45mg 2%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Dietary Fiber 16g 64%
- Sugars 30g
- Protein 7g 15%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
Did you try this recipe?
Please let me know how these Vegan Banana Pancakes with Chocolate Hazelnut Spread turned out for you! Leave a comment and rating below and don't forget to sign up for the newsletter if you want to receive recipes, meal plans, and special offers in your inbox.
Did you love it? Hit the share buttons!
Hi! I'm the founder of Speak Veggie To Me, a fun health and food blog where I share my favorite mouthwatering vegan and vegetarian recipes.