Red pepper taquitos are stuffed with a cream cheese mixture and topped with cheese in this delicious vegetarian and keto appetizer dish. To make it vegan, all you need to do is use non-dairy cheese. These spicy red peppers are easy to make and the perfect gluten-free starter for your next dinner party, book club, or family get-together.
You have got to try this super easy, extra cheesy, Keto Appetizer recipe for Red Pepper Taquitos! If you're craving for something spicy that doesn't overly burn your mouth.. This keto taquito cheese wrap is the perfect solution!
This easy keto appetizer is so good and has got the perfect amount of spice! The red peppers are stuffed with cream cheese, herbs, and spices such as chili and garlic, which gives them a pleasantly sharp taste and appetizing flavor.
This cheese wrap recipe is a nice little twist from the classic jalapeño poppers and makes for excellent appetizers at parties and family gatherings. They are a crowd pleaser and they tend to run out fast!
You can also put these keto taquitos on a bed of lettuce if you are looking for a more filling meal or want some more freshness in your mouth. The lettuce balances out the cheesiness and adds some nice crisp textures to the dish.
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 25 minutes
- Total: 35 minutes
- 6 medium red peppers
- 300g / 10 oz cream cheese
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 cup spring green onions chopped
- handful of dill, chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar
- 12 large cheddar cheese slices to wrap
For the dressing
- sour cream to drizzle
- 1 small head of lettuce
- 1 tomato
- handful of cilantro
- spring onion to garnish
How to make keto taquitos
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Wash and half the peppers. Remove the seeds.
- In a bowl, prepare the filling and mix the cream cheese, onions, dill, garlic powder, chili powder, salt and pepper together.
- Stuff the pepper halves with cream cheese mixture and top with grated cheese.
- Place stuffed peppers on tray with parchment paper and bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 3-4 minutes.
- Wrap the peppers into large cheese slices and place in the oven for 10 more minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let them cool for 2 mins.
- Slice some lettuce and place it on a large plate. Arrange your peppers on top and garnish with diced tomatoes, green onion, cilantro, and drizzle some sour cream! Enjoy!
Tips For Success
- To make it vegan, replace the regular cream cheese with the non-dairy version. You can buy it in the dairy section of your local grocery store or specialty stores like Whole Foods or Trader Joe's. Use non-dairy cheese for the topping as well.
- You can also use the air fryer to make these taquitos instead of the oven. Just set the temperature to 400 degrees and when it's ready, place them in the basket or on the rack and cook until they're roasted and the cheese is bubbly and golden brown.
- Once the red pepper taquitos have cooled, place them in an airtight container and in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- To reheat, put them in the microwave and heat in 30-second increments until they're warm all the way through.
- Baking tray
- Parchment paper
- Mixing bowl
- Cutting board
What cheeses can you eat on keto?
You can eat from a large list of cheeses on the keto diet as most are low in carbs and high in fat. The list of keto cheeses include:
- blue cheese
- colby jack
- cream cheese
- pepper jack
Which cheese is best for keto?
Any that are low carb and high fat! Some of my favorites are cream cheese, mozzarella, and pepper jack.
Can you eat too much cheese on keto?
Yes! As with anything you eat, you should be sensible. Too much cheese can cause an overconsumption of calories and also make you constipated.
What kinds of peppers can I use for these taquitos?
You can use almost any type of pepper for this dish. Try bell peppers, shishitos, poblanos, anaheims, jalapenos, fresnos, or yellow chiles.
Are taquitos vegan?
These taquitos are not but they can be made vegan by using non-dairy cheese and cream cheese. If you buy them from a restaurant or store, be sure to ask or read the label to make sure.
How long does it take for peppers to get soft?
It only takes a few minutes in the oven, air fryer, or microwave for peppers to soften. Cook these stuffed peppers for about 10 minutes to cook them all the way through.
This nutrition card is calculated by a third party app and is only an estimate. The numbers will vary based on the specific ingredient amounts and brands you use in making this recipe.
4 servings per container
Serving Size1 serving
- Amount Per Serving% Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 29g 145%
- Cholesterol 147mg 49%
- Sodium 1054mg 44%
- Amount Per Serving% Daily Value *
- Potassium 350mg 10%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Dietary Fiber 3g 12%
- Sugars 8g
- Protein 25g 50%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
Did you try this recipe?
Please let me know how these Keto Red Pepper Taquitos turned out for you! Leave a comment and rating below and don't forget to sign up for the newsletter if you want to receive recipes, meal plans, and special offers in your inbox.
Did you love it? Hit the share buttons!
Hi! I'm the founder of Speak Veggie To Me, a fun health and food blog where I share my favorite mouthwatering vegan and vegetarian recipes.