What is a Smoothie Cleanse?
Like a juice cleanse, a smoothie cleanse is another detox diet that involves consuming blended, raw fruits and vegetables. Although every cleanse is a little bit different, most range from 1–10 days. In fact, the most popular is a 10 day green smoothie cleanse.
Popularized as a quick way to lose weight, many people follow smoothie diets in an attempt to drop pounds quickly. Smoothie diets are also helpful to jumpstart a new healthy diet lifestyle.
Not only are smoothies great for short-term cleanses, but they are also often used to supplement or replace a meal as another method to lose weight. Smoothies are packed with tons of nutrients and antioxidants to help you feel better and reset your body and mind.
How do you Follow a Smoothie Cleanse?
There are several different styles of smoothie cleanses that range from strict smoothie-only diets to replacing all three meals with a smoothie to simply replacing one meal a day as a way to create a longer-term change. Regardless of the style, the intention remains the same — replace a portion of your regular food consumption with blended up, raw fruits and vegetables.
Here are some of the more popular smoothie cleanses and diets:
- 10-day Green Smoothie Cleanse: Created by JJ Smith, this is a 10-day detox of processed foods, dairy, meat, and caffeine that helps your body reset.
- 21-Day Smoothie Diet: Created by health coach Drew Sgoutas, this 21–day smoothie-based diet claims to lead to quick and easy weight loss.
- 3-Day Smoothie Cleanse: Considered an entry-level smoothie cleanse, this diet recommends consuming only smoothies for 3 days.
Why Have Smoothies Become so Popular?
Smoothies contain massive amounts of nutrients, antioxidants, and phytochemicals that are easily digested and absorbed by the body. The idea behind smoothie-only diets is to allow your body to soak up all of the nutrients contained in the fruits and vegetables that will help rid your body of any toxins or chemicals.
One benefit of smoothie diets is that they require less calorie counting and food tracking. The emphasis is on fruits and vegetables, which makes shopping and preparing for this cleanse much easier.
Here are some of the benefits you might experience while following a smoothie cleanse:
- Weight loss: One of the main motivations of a smoothie cleanse is to lose weight quickly. Weight loss is common because of the calorie deficit; however, it’s usually hard to maintain long-term.
- Improved health: By increasing your consumption of fruits and veggies for a period of time, you’re getting a ton of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that will help fight against diseases.
- Increased energy: Many people report boosted levels of energy or focus during or after a smoothie cleanse.
- Detox the body: By eliminating processed foods, added sugars, and other harmful ingredients from your diet for a few days, your body is better able to detox.
- Improved digestion: Fruits contain enzymes that can improve digestion.
The Challenges of Smoothie Cleanses
Smoothies are becoming increasingly popular. Despite the thousands of loyal supporters, there are some challenges and concerns to be aware of when following a smoothie-only diet.
- Restrictive: The focus of a smoothie diet is on consuming fruits and vegetables, which stretched over several days, is restrictive and difficult to follow.
- Not sustainable: A smoothie-only diet is a short-term solution. Because of the limited amount of calories, smoothie diets are not a great long-term nutrition strategy.
- Preparation: Putting together a smoothie doesn’t take all that long. However, it’s difficult to have a smoothie for lunch if you’re away from home or in the office.
- Lack of energy: Initially, you may experience some level of tiredness, lack of energy, and cravings.
Concerns About Smoothie Diets
Even though smoothies are blended, it’s still recommended to consume them slowly to allow for better digestion. Be sure to stay hydrated and drink lots of water between smoothies. One other important thing to keep in mind is that a strict smoothie-only diet is a short-term nutrition strategy. Instead, focus on a balanced, healthy diet for lasting, long-term results.
If you’re looking to get back on track or kickstart a healthy lifestyle, a smoothie cleanse might be the perfect thing for you. Before starting any new diet program, speak with your doctor to ensure there aren’t any health concerns or modifications that may need to be made.
Resources About Smoothie Diets
There’s a reason why smoothies have become so popular today — they taste great, and the health benefits are amazing. Because of the popularity, there are tons of free resources on green smoothie cleanses to help you get started.