Tahini sauce pairs well with so many great dishes. It can go on top of falafels, salads, or be eaten as a dip with raw veggies. It can be used in homemade hummus and even used for baking delicious treats! It's made by blending sesame seeds, oil, garlic, and fresh lemon juice to form a delicious sauce. This easy Mediterranean & Middle Eastern dressing will be your new favorite.
There are so many reasons to love this Easy Homemade Tahini Sauce. One of them is that it can be easily turned into a salad dressing just by thinning it out a little bit by adding water. That will make it less thick than a sauce consistency. The sauce can be used to dip raw vegetables or drizzle on top of Baked Falafels. The dressing can be used to toss a green salad or a pasta salad. It is a very versatile sauce that can be used for making hummus and even for baking cookies!
This tahini sauce recipe is a great substitute for store-bought versions which are filled with preservatives and additives that you won't find here. This tahini recipe is gluten free, dairy free, vegetarian, and vegan. If you've ever made tahini before, you know how delicious and healthy it is for you!
You'll find lemon tahini dressing in many Mediterranean and Middle Eastern recipes. The fresh bite of garlic and tanginess of the lemon juice combined with the more bitter sesame seeds makes this a beautifully balanced sauce.
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 5 minutes
- Total: 15 minutes
- 1 cup sesame seeds
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil or sesame oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 3/4 cup water, or more for consistency
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
How to make tahini sauce
- Add sesame seeds to a wide, dry saucepan over medium-low heat and toast, stirring constantly until the seeds become fragrant and very lightly colored (not brown), 3 to 5 minutes. Leave them aside for a while and let cool completely.
- Transfer them into a blender or food processor. Start by adding 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Process the mixture into a paste, scraping down the sides. Add more olive oil until you reach the desired consistency.
- Taste the tahini for seasoning then add salt to taste. Process 5 to 10 seconds to mix it in.
- Add minced garlic and lemon juice to the tahini, mix well.
- Start adding water, a few tablespoons at a time, blending in between each addition, until a smooth consistency. You will have a perfectly creamy and smooth, light-colored tahini sauce.
- If desired, thin with additional water for a more drizzly sauce. Adjust if necessary - if you’d like more tang, add more lemon, or for more overall flavor, add another pinch of salt. Your tahini sauce is ready to serve!
Tips For Success
- Raw garlic lends a bit of a bite to the tahini sauce, but you can add in a little garlic powder to round out the garlic flavor. You can also substitute the raw garlic for garlic powder, but keep in mind, you'll get a different overall flavor.
- If you'd like to have a little sweetness in the lemon tahini sauce, add a teaspoon maple syrup to balance out the flavors.
- After making tahini sauce, keep it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- A great tip for freezing it is to pour the tahini dressing into the little cups of an ice cube tray and allow it to freeze. Then remove the frozen cubes and put them in a zip top bag and back into the freezer for easier storage.
- Food processor (can also use a blender)
What is tahini sauce made of?
Tahini sauce is made from blending sesame seeds with olive oil, garlic, and lemon juice and adding water to your desired consistency.
What does tahini taste like?
The sesame seeds in this sauce are a little bitter so the addition of garlic, lemon juice, and salt, nicely balances all the flavors.
Is tahini sauce vegan?
Yes, tahini sauce is 100% plant-based and vegan - made with only a handful of simple ingredients!
How do you make tahini dip from scratch?
It's easy! All you need to do is blend sesame seeds, garlic, lemon juice, salt, and water together to make a dip. Follow the recipe below for a more detailed description.
This nutrition card is calculated by a third party app and is only an estimate. The numbers will vary based on the specific ingredient amounts and brands you use in making this recipe.
10 servings per container
Serving Size3 tablespoons
- Amount Per Serving% Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 2g 10%
- Sodium 120mg 5%
- Amount Per Serving% Daily Value *
- Potassium 75mg 3%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Dietary Fiber 2g 8%
- Protein 3g 6%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
Did you try this recipe?
Please let me know how this Easy Homemade Tahini Sauce turned out for you! Leave a comment and rating below and don't forget to sign up for the newsletter if you want to receive recipes, meal plans, and special offers in your inbox.
Did you love it? Hit the share buttons!
Hi! I'm the founder of Speak Veggie To Me, a fun health and food blog where I share my favorite mouthwatering vegan and vegetarian recipes.